If you would ask to name the most popular application on the web, the single answer is ‘search engines’. Among the search engines, Google has grabbed two thirds of the market share. Since most other search engines are also applying the 80:20 rule implemented by Google, performing well on Google is the only way to get new customers. The three characteristics that will make you do well on Google include working on visibility, relevance and popularity. While working with a Magento development company for your website and the search engines, you must focus on these three areas to turn the mission successful.
Enhance the visibility
Visibility refers to the basic mechanics of letting your site seen and indexed. Google deputes its little robots to spider around the internet and examine the pages and titles besides the headers, links, content, file names and the HTML underneath the page. Whatever the robots can get to read is indexed. The problem with ecommerce websites is that they have the products and their descriptions hidden deep inside their database. The search engines cannot read the information located in the images, flash and frames. Magento helps overcome this problem by building the websites on a superior technology in a professional manner.
• The URLs are flat and concise without any odd characters
• All the pages are built on systematically structured HTML
• Users of Magento can have full control over the SEO components including meta data and page titles
• The platform automatically generates Google site maps
Perhaps the page title is the most important component considered by Google for listing the page. Along with it, the Meta description that makes up the next few lines on the description are achieved meticulously on Magento.
Make the site appear relevant to the search engines
Relevancy must be given a top priority over the others in the SEO mission for Magento. To be relevant, all the elements of the site must point out to the same direction centered on the same context and the keywords. For instance, if all the pages talk about ‘computer hardware’ all over the pages, then it is most likely that Google will consider the site to be relevant to ‘computer hardware’. To achieve relevance, all the important generic propositions or keywords must be inputted rightly. The focus should be on generic as well as specific keywords. For example, ‘online store’ is a generic and ‘Texmo’ is a generic keyword. It requires a great deal of effort to do well with regard to the generic keyword.
• Google compares your products and the content displayed in all the pages automatically in order to match them with those keywords. The more relevant they are to the keywords, the higher are the chances to get the top ranking on Google search results when those keywords are typed in by the searchers.
• Choose the right keywords based on your brand strategy and values, what type of keywords the customers input during searches, for which you are competing and what is practically achievable. Use the facility provided by Google Adwords estimation to quantify demand and saturation.
• Make your URLs short and to the point. Magento constructs them by inputting product and category names. However, you must override those that contain irrelevant words. Do this from the Admin panel for every product.
• Sitemaps are like signposts that Google is very fond of. Set this up in the Admin Panel (System/Configuration/Google Sitemap) and enable it in (Catalog/Sitemap). After verifying the website, this must be uploaded to the Google Webmaster tools.
The next dimension of the battle is becoming popular. Experts say this aspect makes up about 80 percent of the task in hand. Each of the site pages is given a page rank by Google. This page rank is most likely to affect how often Google is going to visit you. Anything above 6/10 is going to give you a definite advantage in achieving a good ranking for the products and keywords on your site.
• Get people to link you.
• Explore the arena of bona fide affiliates who provide you the links and generate traffic in return for a modest compensation.
• When your content is useful to them, people will link to your site voluntarily. Include interesting features in your site that will attract people
• Send out press releases and add your site to directories.
Such a comprehensive approach to setting up Magento for SEO must get you amazing results.